Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Sustainable Life

So, this is it, folks. I've come (nearly) to the end of a goal that I set out to reach two years ago. When I began, I was overweight, out of shape, and unhappy about it.  I was not generally an unhappy person, so my weight, body image and exercise life was not something that ruled me. I had a boyfriend who enjoyed my company and how I looked, a good education and a stable job. However, I came to a point where I needed change--somehow I don't remember exactly what that point was--but I suppose it had something to do with realizing that being healthy was a necessity in life.

That point had me starting my original goal of "getting healthy," which for any of you who have tried to get fit know, is not an attainable goal at 225 pounds, pants size 18, with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 36 (healthy range for women 18.5-25). I was obese. Much as I would like to gloss over that fact, I simply was. So, with that vague goal in mind, I eventually came to the conclusion that I thought I weighed about 160 pounds when I was a freshman in college, and I felt comfortable there, so that is what I would aim for.

Just over two years of hard work ensued. I steadily lost 1-2 pounds a week, with some weeks being failures as any person would experience. My plan was to exercise regularly, which included swimming and Zumba, and I also worked hard to control my portion sizes and calorie intake. At first it was a struggle, but as I got used to logging my food and exercise every day, it became just as integral as brushing my teeth. Other weeks were deliberate, such as the weeks leading up to my wedding in which I had to maintain my weight or risk not fitting into my dress.  By that time, I weighed in at a shrinking 183 pounds, pants size 14, and I felt fantastic. After I was married, I started to encourage my husband to work out with me and we got a membership to our local YMCA. It took a few weeks, but I was back on the path and still striving for that original goal.

By the time my 26th birthday rolled around, or perhaps just a few days before it, I jumped onto the scale and saw that magic number, 160. I was absolutely thrilled! I had made it to my goal! Total pounds lost to date was 65 whopping pounds, and 8 dress/pants sizes. I now fit into a size 10, borderline 8 (you know those pesky brands, ladies). After I saw that for a brief moment, I went into a week's worth of traveling (and birthday) that put me back up a couple of pounds. I worked hard for another week after, all the while recognizing something that was formulating in my head: 160 now looked nothing like 160 then. Here's the "ugly" truth: I have stretch marks and have never had a baby, I have pooches where there was a flat tummy, and I have extra skin in places I didn't know existed. After a little more self-convincing (after all, I didn't want to go too far), I decided that I would go for a new goal weight that resides in my "healthy" weight range as a 26 year old female. That goal is 150 pounds. This morning I got on the scale for my weigh-in, and I am at 157 pounds. So after two long years of weigh goals, counting calories and feeling the pounds shed away, I am nearly to my permanent goal.

I know I have learned a lot of things that I am still processing. One of them is that good habits can be formed and kept. Another is that those habits, and the results of them, can influence others to make changes in their lives as well. Please bear with my as I continue to wrestle with my results and come to more conclusions. But as for now, I am a weight loss success story and my body is thanking me every day.

1 comment:

The Spokanite said...

I totally admire you. I have battled my weight for my whole life and have never reached my "magic number!" And I'm sure you don't look at a lot of other girls naked, but most of us have stretch marks (or so I like to tell myself). :)